Who We Are
Colbert United Methodist Church is dedicated to the worship of God and to being the hands of feet of Christ in a hurting world.
Our congregation is multi-generational. There are opportunities for all ages and life stages to become involved through study, outreach and fellowship.
We are committed to outreach into the Colbert community, both on an individual basis and in groups of volunteers. We provide meals to students in our local school system through the intheMIDDLEmeals program. Our church Food Bank is open on regular basis for the benefit of our neighbors and community. And in 2022 we launched the Good News Club, an outreach ministry at Danielsville Elementary School to children through 5th grade.
Around 1900—Dissolvement of the Bethel Methodist Church between Hull and Five Forks. Former Bethel members organized a new church in Five Forks. Land was secured from F.E. Kirk for $75, and the deeds were recorded to Five Forks Methodist Church in 1901. Rev. George E. Stone was the first pastor.
1902—A simple one-room frame building was erected that housed the sanctuary and other normal church activities. Mr. Fletcher Colbert, one of the early members and for whom the city was later named, contributed the lumber for the new building, and the members gave freely of their labor in the construction.
1909—City changed its name to Colbert, and the church assumed the new name of Colbert Methodist Church.
Late 1930s—Plans were made for a larger building.
1941—Present building, composed of the sanctuary and two Sunday school rooms, was erected. Mr. M.L. Wread drew the plans and supervised the construction.
1949—Stained glass memorial windows replaced the original clear glass. A dedication service was held on Oct. 20, 1950.
1955—Fellowship hall was added, which included an assembly room, kitchen, three Sunday school room, a hall and two restrooms. A dedication service was held on March 31, 1957.
1960s—New pews, carpet and central heating system installed.
1970—Central air conditioning installed.
1975—Addition of education facility included larger nursery with restroom, four classrooms and two closets. Dedicated 1976.
1977—Steeple added, paid for by Young Adult Class.
1998—Land across from sanctuary purchased.
2000—Church van purchased.
2004—Construction began on new Family Life Center.
2007—Construction of FLC completed, first event was wedding.
2016—Mortgage paid off, church held a note burning party.